Are you planning to make a delicious and healthy meal? This easy-to-follow recipe is excellent for families, or could be the star at your next gathering! It is rich in protein, iron, vitamins, minerals, and of course, flavor!
What Do You Need?
1/2 pounds-3/4 pounds round steak serves approx. 2-4 people (pound meat with tenderizer, or have the butcher run it through the tenderizer once)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter or ghee
1 yellow onion, diced or chopped
A handful of Italian parsley
1 sprig rosemary
2 garlic cloves
3-4 slices of bacon
Box of spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Ready, Steady, Cook
1. Set aside a box of spinach to be used later
2. Blend onion, garlic, parsley, and rosemary in a food processor or chop finely
Tip: If you do not like the texture of rosemary, place it in a sachet at the bottom of the cooking pot.
3. Cut meat into approx. 3×5 inch rectangular pieces
4. Lay one piece of meat on a cutting board and place ½ a piece of bacon on the meat, the long way (so that when you roll it up later the bacon does not hang out)
5. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the onion mixture on top of the meat and bacon
6. Roll and secure with a couple of toothpicks or small meat skewers (be sure to let your guests know about them)
7. Sear each meat roll on each side in a pot with olive oil and butter (or ghee)
8. Salt and pepper to taste
9. After meat is seared but not cooked, add spinach by the handful and wilt
10. Turn pot on low and cover
11. Simmer on low heat for 1-2 hours stirring and turning meat occasionally
11. Spinach will soak up flavor of meat juices
That’s it! We’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe. Please share your stories or other healthy recipes with us today!