Discover a delicious Indian dish that will truly make your mouth water. A Kitchari is an exquisite combination of vegetables, spices, flavors, and nutrients! Read through our version of Ascension Kitchen’s recipe and feel ready to make your next gathering a tasty success!
What Do You Need?
1 measuring-cup dried lentils (any color is fine) for Dal, or 1 cup dried mung beans for Kitchari, soaked 24 hours in water, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoon ghee or butter
3 measuring-cups bone broth, any flavor, and/or water
2 measuring-cups of vegetables. Three kinds maximum as it will be easier to digest (You can use shitake mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, peas, zucchini, butternut squash)
1 large yellow onion, diced
3-6 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped, then allowed to rest a minimum of 10 minutes to activate the health-promoting properties
½ c coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
2-3 tablespoon ginger root minced
1 ½ tablespoon cumin powder
1 ½ tablespoon coriander powder
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon ginger powder
½ tablespoon fenugreek powder
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Let’s Get Cooking
1. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add chopped onion and garlic.
2. Sauté until onions begin to appear translucent.
3. Add fresh ginger and all powdered herbs and spices listed above and continue to cook for a few more minutes. If the mixture becomes dry, add a small amount of the bone broth, approximately 1/3 cup.
4. Add the vegetables and 1 measuring-cup of the bone broth, stir and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Add the lentils or mung beans, the remaining bone broth/water, lime juice, ghee, and coconut milk. Bring mixture to a low boil. Simmer over low heat for approximately 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes too thick or sticks to the bottom, add more broth or water. Cook until desired consistency has been reached.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve with fresh cilantro and/or lime wedges.
This recipe serves four to six people depending on the size of servings, which means you have your go-to recipe for your next gathering! Follow these steps and experience a one-of-a-kind mixture of flavors that is not only savory but also balanced in nutrients.